This impressive Federal-style building was erected in 1817 to house the state-chartered Farmers Bank. Gold backed paper currency in the years prior to the Civil War. The bank printed its own currency and thrived until the early years of the Civil War. During the 1860’s the parent bank invested heavily in Confederate bonds. As a result, the end of the war brought financial ruin to the bank. Open to the public through the Petersburg Visitors Center, one may see the press and plates used to print the bank’s currency and the scales for weighing gold.