The Town Hall and Market House, completed in 1816, followed ancient European precedents with public offices above a market arcade. The building now houses the Fredericksburg Area Museum and Cultural Center. The combination of town hall and market arcade dates to medieval times in Europe and was popular in the American colonies and the United States through the 19th century. Fredericksburg’s Town Hall and Market House is an unusual example of the type because few were constructed early in the 1800s. Three years after the city government moved to new quarters in 1982, the Fredericksburg Area Museum and Cultural Center adapted and occupied the space.