WALDOBORO,(120alt.; Waldoboro Town, 2,311 pop.), at the head of navigation on the Medomak River. It was named for Gen. Samuel Waldo, proprietor of the Waldo Patent, which included this township and many hundred thousand other acres. The settlers, who arrived in 1748, were Germans who had received special encouragement from Governor Waldo. The town at one time had considerable prestige as a shipbuilding center, the first five-masted steamer, the Governor Ames, having been built here. A seasonal local industry is the catching, packing, and shipping of alewives, commonly called herring. The village also has a pearl button factory and derives considerable income from the summer tourist trade. Many local boats are hired for deep-sea fishing, the catch including cod, cusk, hake, and halibut. Fly-fishing for mackerel and pollock is popular with visitors in this area. Occasionally gamey striped bass and very large tunas are caught in nearby waters. The GERMAN MEETING HOUSE (open for services once a year), on the west side of the river, was built between 1770 and 1773. The 36- by 46-foot building has a large entrance porch. Inside, a gallery overlooks a hand-made communion table and contribution boxes. The pews are unpainted. A cabinet contains a collection of old German books and mementos. Nearby is the old GERMAN CEMETERY, with many unusual and interesting inscriptions on grave markers. One bears the following: "This town was settled in 1738 by Germans who immigrated to this place with the promise and expectation of finding a prosperous city, instead of which they found nothing but wilderness."