WELLS, (50 alt.; Wells Town, 2,036 pop.), is a small settlement in one of Maine's oldest townships. Covering a large area that originally included Kennebunk, the town was often the center of hostilities during the Indian wars, which raged intermittently between 1650 and 1730. The names occurring most often in accounts of early Indian warfare are the names still most frequently heard in the town today. During a large part of the town's existence, farming has been the chief means of livelihood for the inhabitants. Increasing numbers of tourists and summer residents have afforded a large market for local garden produce. The FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, 58.3 m. (R), stands on the site of the first church building in Wells, which was organized about 1643 by the Reverend John Wheelwright, who shared the beliefs of Anne Hutchinson, the English noncomformist. Wheelwright had been exiled from Massachusetts, had settled at Exeter and, when that was declared to be under the jurisdiction of Massachusetts, had migrated to this town with his family. About 1 646 he made his peace with Massachusetts and returned to Boston. While a student atOxford University he was apparently notable as an athlete, for Oliver Cromwell, his classmate there, said later in life that he had never felt as much fear before any army as before Wheelwright in competitive sports. The church Wheelwright built at Wells was burned by the Indians in 1692. Between Wells and Ogunquit are (L) many glimpses of sand dunes, beaches, and the ocean. This section of US 1 is highly com- mercialized, appealing to the tourist trade with road stands, restaurants, and cabins.