Polegreen stands at the crossroads of American history. As one of the first meeting houses established during the "Great Awakening," Presbyterian dissenters from the state Anglican Church worshipped here including a young Patrick Henry and his mother. Henry attributes his great oratory to the influence of Rev. Samuel Davies who led the congregation from 1747 – 1759. On June 1, 1864, a Confederate artillery round destroyed the Meeting House, which was built in 1755. World-renown architect Carlton Abbott designed the current symbolic silhouette structure to sit along original foundations based on original sketches from a Union soldier in 1862. The Historic Polegreen Church Foundation is recognized for its leadership in the historic interpretation of civil and religious freedom in Colonial Virginia through preservation of the site, community outreach and educational programs. Please visit us at www.historicpolegreen.org. The historic site is located in eastern Hanover County, 12 miles from downtown Richmond, Virginia, at 6411 Heatherwood Drive, Mechanicsville, Virginia 23116.
Safety and Social Protocols
- Mobile Payments Accepted:
- Attraction Fee: Free Donations are welcome on our website Private events are possible on weekends
- Attraction Hours: Dawn to dusk
- Handicapped Accessible:
- Hours (General Information): Visitor Center open on Tuesdays and Thursdays 9-3
- Pet Friendly:
- Accessible Washrooms:
- Designated Accessible Parking Spaces: 1
- Description Our conference room may be used for small meetings, receptions, and bridal changing and/or staging.
- Space Notes Folks who are touring may watch a video about the site.
- Number of Rooms 1
- Classroom Capacity 12