Second Liberty Baptist ChurchVisit Website
The inception of Second Liberty Baptist Church dates back to 1866, two years before the 13th Amendment of the United States Constitution legally abolished slavery. During this time, Blacks who lived in the St. Peters’ District of New Kent were required to worship at Emmaus Baptist Church. In 1865 some of the Black members listed on Emmaus’ church roll and others who had moved from Charles City County, started a house to house prayer band. The prayer band grew so large that it could not accommodate everyone. One of the members, Fielding Lewis, donated his property so that a brush arbor could be built and used for worship. Later, William Crump, a member of Emmaus Baptist Church and owner of Crumps’ Mill, donated the timber from which logs were hewn to build the church.